Friday, March 8, 2013

A man and a feminist

Being a man and a feminist may seem a little odd, especially considering I'm a christian, but I think most of the reasons men (especially christian men) are so put off by feminism have to do with how they define it in their mind. So let me define feminism (or at least my version), feminism is merely a movement that demands equality between both genders. The reason we call it feminism is simply because women are getting the raw end of the deal. The fact that women are still on average getting paid less than men is wrong, the fact that women are still misrepresented in government and media is wrong, the fact that women are still predominantly judged on their looks is wrong. I could go on, but you get the idea.
The whole "gamer girl" argument has really reignited the feminist movement, and honestly, was what got me in to feminism in the first place. When girls can't go online to play some Call of Duty or Halo without being barraged with rape fantasies and kitchen jokes I take offense to that. No one should have to put up with that EVER. As a gamer I think it's awesome when someone shares my hobby, why on earth would I want to alienate them?
What's worse is this isn't even isolated to the realm of online video games. It's seeped into comic book culture as well. A girl can't read comics and dress up as her favorite hero without her "allegiance" being called into question. "Oh, she's just doing that to get the attention of guys." How arrogant is that, to assume that you are somehow so awesome that a girl would read comics and dress in costume just to "seduce" you. She can certainly do a lot better than you.
Everyone knows this stuff so I'm probably just going to sound like a broken record. All of this goes to a bigger problem across the culture, and that plain and simply is, that women are discriminated against, and something needs to be done about it. I can't think of any tools more powerful than the written word and spoken word. Men don't be afraid to speak up.

END RANT

No comments:

Post a Comment